A blog for anyone who understands the joy of writing and receiving handwritten letters.


Monday, September 6, 2010

Dear Julia... or Tony... or ?

In the lead up to the Australian election I wrote a handful of letters to Prime Minister Julia Gillard. Then we had our federal election on August 21. Two and a half weeks and a hung parliament later, and we still don't have a result.

I've got it written in my letter list for tomorrow to write to Australia's new PM. You can see my dilemma. We might, might have a new government tomorrow if the Independents can make up their mind who to lend their support to. They might decide tomorrow... or the next day... or the day after that...

In the meantime, Julia technically is still the PM (in a caretaker capacity), but as the election was result was almost exactly 50/50 I feel that Tony (the opposition leader) has earnt a letter, too. Well, actually neither of them have really 'earnt' a letter, but I'm going to write to each of them regardless.

I'm going to share my concern (again) about Australia's rough treatment of refuges, and a few other pet topics, but mostly I just want to express my exasperation at the fact that neither Julia nor Tony presented a positive future for this country that you could feel happy about voting for. I voted (it's compulsory here; you're fined if you don't) but I didn't vote happily at all. It was a case of choosing the party that I thought was slightly less depressing.

I really don't expect that my letters make one dot of difference... but they help me feel better.

Love from Kaz

2 comments:

  1. Same for us in the UK, we have a pretty crap hung government right now.

    In better news, I mailed a letter to you today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! See? Letters always make things better. :-)

    ReplyDelete