A blog for anyone who understands the joy of writing and receiving handwritten letters.


Friday, July 30, 2010

You never know what you'll find

I'm doing a personal op shop challenge at the moment. The deal is that I have pledged not to buy any new clothes for 12 months. Anything I want or need has to be sourced from an op shop or other second-hand outlet, or garage sale.

A nice side-effect of this is that I'm now spending a bit more time in op shops, and today I went to one in Yass that I hadn't been to before. I stumbled upon a fantastic haul of paper items. Unfortunately I didn't find any clothes I liked, but the other goodies still made the excursion worthwhile.

Here's what I picked up:



I don't know what you call this, but it is folded cardboard, and when you unfold it there is a pair of 'glasses' and a doubled up image. When you look through the glasses the image looks 3D. It folds up so nice and neat it will fit easily into a letter envelope. I wonder who I'll send this to?


This is a postcard. 'The Fan' by Rupert Bunny, c. 1906.


Also a postcard. 'Young girl in a Garden' by Tudor St George Tucker, c. 1896. Both of those will come in very handy for postcrossings.


A card. 'Interior in yellow', by Grace Cossington Smith. It's a friend's birthday tomorrow and I think this will be perfect for her.

And then there is this beautiful series of black and white sketches of Norfolk Island. I'm not sure what I will do with them yet. They are too delicate to send as postcards. Any suggestions?






'Op shop' is short for Opportunity Shop. Don't you love that? It's an opportunity to provide charity for those in need, and an opportunity to find something great. Oh, and did I mention all this only cost $1.50? It made my day.

Love from Kaz.

2 comments:

  1. Kaz the prints need frames cheep ones from golow may do the trick but I might have to purchase them for you seeing as you can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sweet, Tory, but my ban is only on buying new clothes. Frames are still allowed. :-)

    ReplyDelete