A blog for anyone who understands the joy of writing and receiving handwritten letters.


Friday, August 27, 2010

101 things I love about letters: #6 Handwriting

I love handwriting - mine, yours, everybody's. I would handwrite this blog if I could! Receiving handwritten letters is wonderful and I don't mind if the handwriting is neat, messy, lopsided, curly or erratic - it's all good to me.

When I receive a letter - particularly from someone I have never met - the handwriting provides some great clues as to the personality of the writer. Don't get me wrong, I'm no handwriting analyst, but there are just simple differences between styles that help you to know the writer better. Case in point, my friend Deb wrote to me while on holidays with another friend, Kerry, and half-way through Kerry took over the writing for a little bit. I could tell right away, of course, because their writing styles are completely different.

When reading a letter, you can't see the eyes or smile of the writer but you can see whether their writing is large or small, whether it leans to the left or the right, and if they curl their loopy letters.

At random, here are some handwriting examples from some of the letters I've received recently (do you recognise yours?). I won't identify the writers - I just put them here to demonstrate the differences and variations in style... I love them all.

I haven't put an example of my own handwriting - if you want to see it, you'll have to write me a letter. Let's just say it's distinctive.







This one came out fuzzy because the writing was teeny :-).

 Now, how'd that one get in there? This is from my brother (I mentioned his letter in a previous post) and I think it's a great example of how to do a typewritten letter. He's chosen a font that reflects his style, and his letter is written so naturally that I can hear his voice as I read it. He writes that he just feels more comfortable typing it out than writing it by hand. Fair enough... but for those who must resort to the wordprocessor, you've still got to do what you can to make it personal.

Love from Kaz

No comments:

Post a Comment